Recycled Plastic Waste
Obligation on the part of entrepreneur under Recycled Plastics Manufacture, Sale & Usage Rules, 1999 as Amended in 2003
The Recycled Plastics Manufacture & Usages (Amendment) Rules, 1999 as amended to date are applicable to every manufacturer, stockiest, distributor or seller of carry bags containers made of virgin or recycled plastic. These rules have been framed to regulate the manufacture, sale and usage of virgin or recycled plastic bags/containers.
- Prescribed Authority
The Punjab Pollution Control Board has been designated as authority for the enforcement of the provisions of rules related to manufacture and recycling of plastic carry bags/ containers, whereas, the District Collector/Deputy Commissioner of the concerned district has been designated as authority for the enforcement of provisions of these rules related to the usage, collection, segregation, transportation and disposal of recycled plastic carry bags/containers.
- Prohibition of usage of carry bags or containers made of recycled plastics
No vendor shall use carry bags or containers made of recycled plastics for storing, carrying, dispensing or packaging of foodstuffs. However, the provisions of these rules shall not apply to the manufacture of carry bags exclusively for export purposes against an order for export received by the owner or occupier of the concerned manufacturing unit.
- Conditions for Manufacture of carry bags and containers made of plastics
Subject to the provisions of Rule 4, any person may manufacture carry bags or containers made of plastics if the following conditions are satisfied, namely:
- Carry bags and containers made of virgin plastic shall be in natural shade or white;
- Carry bags and containers made of recycled plastic and used for purposes other than storing and packaging foodstuffs shall be manufacture & using pigments and colourants as per IS:9833:1981 entitled "List of pigments and colourants for use in plastics in contact with foodstuffs, pharmaceuticals and drinking water"
- Restriction on manufacture, sale, distribution and use of virgin and recycled plastic carry bags and recycled plastic containers
- No person shall manufacture, stock, distribute or sell carry bags made of virgin or recycled plastic bags which are less than 8x12 inches (20x30 cms) in size and 20 micron in thickness.
- No vendor shall use carry bags made of recycled plastic for storing, carrying, dispensing or packaging of foodstuffs.
- No vendor shall use containers made of recycled plastics for storing, carrying, dispensing or packaging of foodstuffs.
The minimum weight of 50 carry bags made of virgin or recycled plastics shall be 105 gms ± 5% variation and the carry bags of larger size shall be of the proportionate increase in weight.
Recycling of plastics shall be undertaken strictly in accordance with the Bureau of Indian Standards specification: IS: 14534:1998 entitled "The Guidelines for Recycling of Plastics".
- Marketing Codification
Subject to the provisions of Rule 4 & 5, manufacturers of recycled plastic carry bags having printing facilities shall code/mark carry bags and containers as per Bureau of Indian Standards Specification: IS:14534 entitled "The Guidelines for Recycling of Plastics" and the end product made out of recycled plastics shall be marked as "recycled" along with the indication of the percentage of use of recycled material. Other manufactures, who do not have printing facilities, shall comply with the condition within one year of publication of these rules. The Manufacturer shall print on each packet of carry bags as to whether these are made of "recycled material" or of "virgin material".
- Self-Regulation by certain persons
Without prejudice to the provisions mentioned in Rule 3, the Plastics Industry Association, through their member units shall undertake self-regulatory measures.
- Grant of Registration for
- Every occupier manufacturing carry bags or containers of virgin plastic or recycled plastic or both shall make an application in Form-I (Annexure-I) to the Punjab Pollution Control Board for grant of registration or renewal of registration of his unit.
- No person shall manufacture carry bags or containers irrespective of its size or weight unless the occupier of the unit has registered the unit with the Punjab Pollution Control Board prior to the commencement of production.
- The Punjab Pollution Control Board shall issue and renew the registration certificate of a unit if that unit meets the norms prescribed under rules 5, 6, 7 and 8 of the rules and also possesses a valid consent under the Water (Prevention & Control of Pollution) Act, 1974 and the Air (Prevention & Control of Pollution) Act, 1981.
- Every application for renewal of registration shall be made in the Form-I appended to these rules at least sixty days before the expiry of the validity of registration.
- The Punjab State Plastic Carry Bags(Manufacture, Usage and Disposal) Control(Amendment) Act, 2016
- Status of Recycled Plastic Manufacture & Usage Rules 1999 as Amended in 2003
- Recycled Plastic Manufacture & Usage Rules 1999 as Amended in 2003
- The Plastic Waste (Management & Handling) Rules, 2011
- The Plastic Waste (Management & Handling) Amendment Rules, 2011
- Various provisions under the Plastic Waste (Management & Handling) Rules, 2011
- Status of registration of Plastic Waste as on 28.02.2014
- Notification dated 18.2.2016 regarding Ban on Plastic carry bags and material